Friday, September 4, 2009

First 24 Hours in London.

So I made it to London, praise God. The UK authorities apparently didn’t buy my story, so they decided to keep me around for a few hours, before questioning me, calling me a liar, and then finally allowing me into the country for six months. Not very nice people, I must say! The bloke’s parting words were, “You’ll have a very difficult time when you try to come into the UK again.” I walked, but was thinking, “Not if I have a UK passport, you twit!” Haha. So I made it to my nanny’s at 1:30, after a nice chat with the cab driver. He was an Arsenal fan as well, and fully supported my mission to make a career out of football.

I slept until noon (a solid 10 hours), woke up and took a walk down to Junction Road and bought my UK sim card via T-Mobile! It might cost you an arm and a leg, but send me an email or message on twitter if you want it. I have a month of free texting, not bad eh! I feel like I am really living here now that I have a UK phone number. Not bad.

Then I went home to my grandma’s house and had some lunch, a bacon sandwich (Brandon’s favorite). I called up Samir, the geezer who runs the gap year program at Arsenal, and we met up at the stadium for a cup of tea and a quick chat. Really nice guy, he introduced me to a few people and we talked about the week to come. I am very excited, lots of time on the pitch! Arsenal’s facilities are top notch, really lavish and stylish. I’ll make sure to take a few pictures on Monday, even if I look like a loser doing so. It is really exciting times, I can’t wait! Two days out of the week I will be coaching in the schools, the rest of the time will be in training and in the community. I will be looking to join a league, maybe us gap year students will form a team. That would be cool. I get a discount on Arsenal gear and I probably will get to see a few games for free while I am here. Awesome.

Came home for dinner and had some good fish and chips from up the road. Hung out with the grandparents, made a few phone calls, and now its time to go to bed.

I miss and love you all. Be on the look out for a call from a strange number!

3 comments:

  1. Yaaay, awesome! I am jealous of your chips right now...even if I couldn't eat them at the moment, heheh. Have fun, enjoy family time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's fair to say the only proper way to move to a new country is to be detained for a couple hours, it makes the story wayyy more interesting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That google thing is awesome....you can actually see the whole street!....I also am extremely jealous of the fish and chips, but with any luck we will be there in March!

    ReplyDelete