Friday, September 25, 2009

3 Weeks in London

It has been 3 weeks in London for this aspiring football coach, about time for a blog posting. I have been so busy, I apologize. So here is the update all of you have been waiting for so patiently.

I’ll start of by saying that these three weeks have probably been the most physically demanding weeks of my life. We have been training non-stop, at least 4 hours a day, sometimes 8! Having said that, I have loved every single minute of it. Even the worst of training is enjoyable. I have encountered so many great coaches already, from both Arsenal and the FA. I feel like I have enough material to start coaching now and that is exactly what I am going to do! Yesterday I visited the school I will be coaching in for the next few months (Holloway Secondary School). The staff were very friendly and accomodating, and the facilities are really good. My work there begins next Tuesday, bright and early. I can’t wait!

Based on these 3 weeks, I feel 100% sure that I made the right decision, to come to London and pursue this career. Football aside, life in London has been perfect. I enjoy every second spent with my family, be it sitting on the couch chatting with my grandparents or looking after my cousin of a evening. I have also found a great church – Hillsong London. I visited for the first time last week and it was incredible! I can’t wait to go back this Sunday.

The other members of Arsenal’s Gap Year Program (fellow ‘gappers’) are great as well. They like to give me some stick now and then for my accent, but its all in the name of banter. Great times.

What else? Ah, I saw Arsenal play for the first time this week. It was a good match and a great time. Touring stadiums is good and all, but theres nothing that compares to seeing a match, stadium packed with thousands of fans. I can’t wait to see them play again.

So into the schools next week, the real test begins. I have to improve my coaching skills so I can spend some time abroad with Arsenal in January (fingers crossed, in Australia).

Until next time, cheers!

1 comment:

  1. wow...those are really high seats! good to see that you haven't regretted your decision to do the program in anyway :)

    ReplyDelete